Serving Clients in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, & Worldwide

Ohio Immigration Lawyer

The team of attorneys at Robert Brown LLC - Robert Brown, Rishi Oza, Aleksandar Cuic, Erin Brown, and Kathryn Russell - have more than 70 years of immigration experience and a proven track record of success in helping clients get results in a variety of immigration cases. Whether you need to hire a foreign national, help a loved one move from abroad, apply for citizenship, or if you are threatened with possible deportation, we will work diligently to help you achieve the best possible result. Our lawyers have won accolades such as the Martindale-Hubbell® AV® peer-review rating and inclusion in the prestigious Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠ list, and we are ready to put our skill and experience to work for you. We handle many types of immigration cases, which you can learn more about in the sections below; access to immigration resources is also provided.

Adjustment of Status
If you currently hold a non-immigrant visa and have decided that you want to live and work in this country permanently, then an attorney from our firm may be able to help you secure a green card by applying for adjustment of status, which allows you to apply for lawful permanent resident status while remaining in the U.S.

One of the most confusing aspects of immigration law is knowing which of the different agencies will be handling your case. The State Department, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) are each responsible for different types of cases. Our founding lawyer is a former district director for the former Immigration and Naturalization Service, which was replaced by USCIS, ICE and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Bars to Returning to the U.S .
If you are removed from the U.S. based on a period of unlawful presence violation, then you will most likely be subjected to a period of being barred from reentry to this country. Depending on the circumstances of your unlawful presence, you could be barred for a period of three years, ten years, or even permanently.

Change of Status
When you have been admitted to enter the United States as the holder of one of the dozens of different types of non-immigrant visas, it is vital that you avoid doing anything that would violate the terms of your visa. Should you decide to pursue an education but were not admitted on a student visa, for example, you must first apply for a change of status.

As a United States citizen, you will enjoy a number of different rights and responsibilities. You will be able to vote and run for elected office, you will be eligible for certain types of federal employment positions, and you will not have to live with the fear of possibly being deported. Citizenship also makes it easier for you to sponsor family members for immigration.

Consular Processing
While many immigrants only become lawful permanent residents after first living and working in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa, this is not the only route to a green card. Provided that you are eligible, you may be able to apply in the U.S. Consulate office in your home country, receive your visa, and be admitted as a permanent resident upon your arrival in this country.

Diversity Visa
Up to 55,000 visas are provided every year through the diversity visa program, which helps people immigrate from countries that typically have low rates of immigration to the United States. Provided that you meet the strict requirements for eligibility, you may be able to secure a diversity visa.

Documentary Requirements
When you are filing for a non-immigrant visa, an employment- or family-based immigrant visa, a green card, or other types of immigration cases, you will have to assemble several different documents for submission with your application or petition. We help our clients gather the necessary documents and ensure that omissions do not cause delays in your case.

Employment Authorization
Just because you have been permitted to enter the United States does not mean that you are legally permitted to work here. Before you can secure employment in this country, you must obtain an employment authorization document, which permits a business to legally hire you for work.

Employment-Based Non-Permanent Residents (Non-Immigrants)
There are several different types of non-immigrant visas available for individuals planning to live and work in the U.S. for a limited period, including the following: B-1, E-1 & E-2, F-1, H, I, J, L, O, P, Q, R-1, and TN / NAFTA. We can help you select the most appropriate visa type and represent you throughout the application process.

Employment-Based Permanent Residents
The U.S. government imposes strict requirements on businesses that want to hire foreign nationals, including an arduous PERM labor certification process and lengthy processing times and priority dates. There are five different types of visa for permanent employees, including the EB-1 priority worker, the EB-2, EB-3, EB-4 and EB-5.

A non-immigrant visa only makes it possible for the holder to stay in the country on a temporary basis. If conditions have changed and you now want to stay longer than is permitted by the terms of your visa, an attorney from our team can help you apply for an extension that may make it possible for you to remain here lawfully.

Family-Based Immigration
Do you want to bring loved ones from abroad to live with you in this country? If you are a U.S. citizen, then you can help your immediate relatives secure visas; immediate relatives of green card holders and other relatives of citizens may fall into the various family-sponsored preference categories. The K-1 visa is intended for a fiancé or fiancée who plans to marry within 90 days of arrival in this country.

Other Non-Immigrants
The provisions of U.S. immigration law provide visas for a variety of different types of situations, such as unique non-immigrant visas for specific professions, family relationships, and skill sets. We have extensive experience with this area of law and can help you select the most appropriate type for you.

U.S. law takes a tough stance against illegal immigration, but there are provisions that provide a degree of leniency. If you have been present in this country since January 1, 1972, then you can apply for a green card provided that you are a person of good moral character, are eligible for naturalization, and are not removable under certain sections of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Removal (Deportation and Exclusion)
As soon as you receive a notice to appear at a deportation hearing, contact us for help. We can help you pursue relief from removal through strategies such as a waiver, a stay of removal, or cancellation of removal. We can also assist with detention and bonds if your loved one has been apprehended by officials from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
When conditions in a foreign country would make it unsafe for a foreign national to return to that country, the Department of Homeland Security may impose a designation of temporary protected status, which protects such foreign nationals from removal and enables them to secure an employment authorization.

Unlawful Presence
When you enter the United States on a non-immigrant visa, you are only allowed to stay in this country for a predetermined period of time. Many people, however, overstay the expiration of their visas, which exposes them to possible legal penalties including deportation and exclusion from reentry.

Writs of Mandamus
The immigration legal system is notoriously complex and slow, and individuals are frequently forced to wait months or even years to receive a visa or a decision on a disputed case. By filing a writ of mandamus, an attorney from our firm may be able to compel the authorities to expedite your case.

Why You Need Legal Assistance

Immigration law is a notoriously complex subject that poses confusion and difficulties even for many lawyers. It is highly advisable for anyone facing an important immigration legal issue to hire an experienced lawyer who can help with navigating the process and represent the case with the authorities. An Ohio immigration attorney from our firm will stand by you at every stage of your case, assisting you with gathering the necessary documentation and filling out the paperwork, conducting any necessary follow up of your application, and taking your case to court, if necessary, to secure the results you deserve. Contact us now for a consultation to discuss your options and to take the first steps in your case.

Contact Robert Brown, LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution

Send My Information