Ohio Immigration Attorneys
Contact Us About Your Legal Matter Today 216.861.4414
Helping Individuals, Families,
and Companies in Immigration Matters
Our Dedicated Attorneys Are Ready to Help You

Ohio Employment-Based Immigration Lawyer

Living and Working in the United States

Thousands of people come to the United States every year for the purpose of finding work and building a new life in this country. Some come for a limited period of time, while others find long-term employment and become lawful permanent residents. Some follow the full procedure for legal immigration, while others enter illegally and are forced to live with the anxiety of being caught and deported by U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement. Whether you are planning to immigrate and secure a green card through employment or you only need to secure a non-immigrant visa for a shorter period of stay, you can come to our firm for help. Attorneys Robert Brown, Rishi Oza, Aleksandar Cuic, Erin Brown, and Kathryn Russell have more than seven decades of immigration experience, and we will guide you through every stage of the process.

Non-Immigrant Visas for Temporary Employment

If you are planning to come to the United States to fill a temporary employment position, then you will need to apply for one of the many different types of non-immigrant employment visas. Your employer will have to file a sponsorship petition on your behalf with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, specifically the Form I-129, at least six months in advance of the planned date of employment. Once this is approved, the petition will be sent to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad where you will receive your visa. Before the petition can be filed, your employer must secure labor certification to prove that the position cannot reasonably be filled by hiring someone from the local labor pool.

There are several different types of work visas for temporary workers, including O visas for individuals who possess extraordinary skill or ability in their professions; P visas for athletes, artists, and entertainers; L visas for transfer of employees of multinational corporations; and H visas for temporary agricultural workers. We will consult with you to select the most appropriate type of visa, as well as work closely with you and your future employer to carry out the entire process.

Permanent Employment-Based Immigration

The application process for an immigration visa based on employment is similar to that of a non-immigrant visa. Your future employer may have to receive labor certification from the Department of Labor and will have to submit a petition on your behalf, in this case the Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker. In the event that you are applying in the first preference category, the EB-1 priority worker visa, the U.S. government will accept a petition directly from you - workers in this category are highly sought after in this economy.

There are a total of five different types of employment-based visas, each intended for a certain category of worker. The first category is persons of extraordinary ability in certain fields (EB-1); followed by professionals holding advanced degrees or who possess exceptional ability (EB-2); professionals, skilled workers and other workers (EB-3); special immigrants such as religious workers and retired employees of international organizations (EB-4); and business investors who meet certain criteria (EB-5).

Speak with an Attorney Today

Whether you are planning to come to the United States for a limited period of employment or you want to apply for adjustment of status to permanent resident status, we encourage you to contact us at Robert Brown LLC. You can receive a consultation with an Ohio immigration attorney from our firm, and we will be prepared to take immediate action to help you get the process started.

Contact Robert Brown, LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • Applying for U.S. Citizenship and Medicare

    If you are a foreign national seeking residency in the U.S., you may be concerned about obtaining medical insurance to supplement the costs of care ...

    Continue Reading
  • How to Apply for Asylum in the U.S.

    For many people outside of the United States, living in a constant state of fear has become the norm due to various things outside of their control. ...

    Continue Reading
  • What You Need to Know About Bringing Your Fiancé(e) to the US

    Family-based immigration law is a complex process, even if you just want to bring your kids with you when you come to America. For people looking to ...

    Continue Reading