Ohio Immigration Attorneys
Contact Us About Your Legal Matter Today 216.861.4414
Helping Individuals, Families,
and Companies in Immigration Matters
Our Dedicated Attorneys Are Ready to Help You

E-1 & E-2 Visas: Trade with Treaty Countries

Immigration Lawyer in Cleveland

The United States maintains treaties of commerce and navigation with a number of countries from around the world. These agreements serve to facilitate trade and economic exchange across national borders for the mutual benefit of both countries. Our government supplies the E-1 and E-2 visas to accommodate individuals who plan travel from such countries with the goal of engaging in trade or making certain types of investments in the U.S. There are dozens of countries on the list of treaty countries, and many people are eligible for both the E-1 and E-2 visas.

About the Treaty Trader Visa

To qualify for the E-1 treaty trader visa, you must be a citizen of a treaty country and work for trading firm from the same or another treaty country. You will have to demonstrate that the trade that you are planning to conduct will be "substantial," which is characterized by being of a sizeable and continuing volume. At least half of the proposed trade must be conducted between the treaty country and the United States and it must be trade of goods, services, or technology. Your position in the company must be of a supervisory or executive nature or one that requires you to contribute highly specialized skills to the operation.

Non-Immigrant Visas for Treaty Investors

The requirements for an E-2 treaty investor visa are similar to those for an E-1 visa but there are some differences. Your proposed investment must be large enough to provide for the successful conduct of the enterprise and must be of a volume that is in proportion to the size of the operation. It is not sufficient to bring funds for speculative investment - you must be planning to make a specific investment in a real enterprise. You must be expecting to receive a substantial return from the investment rather than a minor enterprise to support only you and your family. The funds must be your own, as borrowed capital in the form of a secured loan is not eligible for this type of investment. The E-2 visa is for principal investors, not for ordinary workers.

To learn more about the E-1 and E-2 visas and take the first steps in your application, contact an Ohio immigration attorney now at Robert Brown LLC for an initial consultation.

Contact Robert Brown LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • Applying for U.S. Citizenship and Medicare

    If you are a foreign national seeking residency in the U.S., you may be concerned about obtaining medical insurance to supplement the costs of care ...

    Continue Reading
  • How to Apply for Asylum in the U.S.

    For many people outside of the United States, living in a constant state of fear has become the norm due to various things outside of their control. ...

    Continue Reading
  • What You Need to Know About Bringing Your Fiancé(e) to the US

    Family-based immigration law is a complex process, even if you just want to bring your kids with you when you come to America. For people looking to ...

    Continue Reading