Family-Based Immigration in Southfield, MI

Our lawyers Help Family Members Immigrate to the U.S.

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, United States citizens and lawful permanent residents (including green card holders) can help immediate relatives secure lawful residence in the U.S. Whether you have family members living abroad or you wish to join your relative in the United States, there are a number of family-based immigration visas available to you. The type of visa you will need to apply for will depend on your specific circumstances, as well as your relationship to the family member in question.

The United States has a rich immigration history. Despite this, however, the immigration process can be complex, lengthy, and confusing. Ever-changing laws, coupled with the current political climate, can make the process daunting. At Brown Immigration Law, we assist U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and foreign nationals with all aspects of family-based immigration. We can help you navigate the process from start to finish.

Discuss your case with one of our family immigration lawyers today! Call (888) 861-4414 or contact us online and request an appointment for a consultation.

Types of Family-Based Immigration Visas

As previously mentioned, there are a number of different types of family-based immigration visas. Our firm can help you determine which family-based visa suits your situation and can assist you throughout the petitioning and application process.

There are two main types of family-based immigration visas:

  • Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas: Immediate Relative Immigrant visas are unlimited, meaning there is no limit to how many can be issued in a single fiscal year. They are provided to the immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen, defined as a spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, an orphan adopted abroad, an orphan intended to be adopted in the U.S., or parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old.
  • Family Preference (F) Immigrant Visas: Family Preference Immigrant visas, or “F” visas, are granted to non-immediate-relative family members of U.S. citizens and certain family members of lawful permanent residents (green card holders). These visas are limited, meaning there are only a certain number of each type available each fiscal year.

There are several different types of visas available under the Family Preference category. These include:

  • F1: Available for unmarried sons/daughters and their minor children (if any) of U.S. citizens
  • F2: Available for lawful permanent residents’ spouses, children under the age of 18, and/or unmarried children who are at least 21 years old. The vast majority of F2 visas are granted to spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents.
  • F3: Available for married sons/daughters of U.S. citizens, as well as their spouses and any minor children.
  • F4: Available for siblings of U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years old, as well as the siblings’ spouses and minor children, if any.

Under current U.S. immigration law, it is not possible for grandparents, in-laws, aunts, uncles, or cousins to sponsor a family member. Furthermore, each visa type under the F category is limited. When there are not enough available F visas to meet the demand of qualified applicants, available visas will be granted in chronological order according to the “priority date,” or the date that the initial petition was filed.

Fiancé(e) Visas

If you are a U.S. citizen who is engaged but not yet married to a foreign national, you can pursue a K-1 nonimmigrant visa in order to bring your fiancé(e) to the United States. To do so, you will need to file a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), Form I-129F. If granted, the K-1 visa will allow your foreign spouse to lawfully enter the U.S. and apply for lawful permanent residency (green card).

In order to obtain a K-1 visa, you and your fiancé(e) must marry in the U.S. within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e)’s arrival to the country. Furthermore, the marriage must be valid. In other words, you and your fiancé(e) must intend to live as a married couple and establish a life together. The marriage is considered invalid if the only reason for marriage is to secure a visa.

Contact Brown Immigration Law Today

Our Southfield family-based immigration lawyers have considerable experience with all types of family immigrant visas. We understand the complexities involved and can help you efficiently navigate the visa petition and application process. Our team offers personalized legal guidance and creative strategies tailored to each of our client’s goals. Our commitment to excellence has helped our attorneys earn AV Preeminent® Ratings from Martindale-Hubbell® and inclusion in the Ohio Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠ list. Reach out to our firm today to schedule an appointment for a confidential consultation.

Contact us online or by phone at (888) 861-4414 to request a case evaluation.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact Us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We Are Here for You When You Need Us

Placeholder text.