Adjustment of Status Attorneys in Southfield

How to Change Your Immigration Status

Federal law allows foreign nationals to change their immigration status—or obtain a green card—through the adjustment of status process. For example, if you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen, you may be able to apply for adjustment of status as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. If you are a skilled worker with at least two years of training or experience in your profession, you may be able to apply for a green card as an immigrant worker.

There are numerous categories, including special immigrant categories, under which you may be able to file for adjustment of status. It is important to note that you may only apply for adjustment of status if you currently reside in the United States; if you reside outside of the U.S. and wish to obtain a green card, you will need to apply via consular processing.

To discuss your options with an adjustment of status attorney in Southfield, contact Brown Immigration Law at (888) 861-4414 and request an appointment for a consultation today.

The Adjustment of Status Process

If you wish to apply for adjustment of status, there are a few steps you will need to take. It is important that you first discuss your options with an experienced attorney, as certain visas are limited in quantity. Before applying for a visa, you will want to be aware of the availability of that visa and working with an attorney can help you avoid mistakes in the application and filing process that may affect your ability to obtain a green card.

How the adjustment of status process works:

  • First, you will need to make sure that you meet all of the green card application requirements.
  • Next, you will need to have someone file an immigrant petition for you (known as “sponsoring”) or file one yourself, if possible/applicable.
  • Once your immigrant petition is approved, you will most likely need to check the availability of the visa for which you are applying. In most cases (with some exceptions), a visa in your selected category must be available before you can file the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status Form I-485.
  • After determining visa availability and ensuring that you meet all eligibility requirements, you may file Form I-485.
  • Once your Form I-485 has been filed, you will receive notice of your Application Support Center (ASC) appointment. At this appointment, you will be required to provide proof of your identity, fingerprint, photo, and/or signature. You will also likely undergo a background check.
  • Attend your interview at a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office, if applicable. You will be notified if your attendance at an interview is required.
  • Ensure that all evidence has been submitted and properly filed/respond to USCIS requests for additional evidence if required.
  • Receive your decision. Typically, you will receive a written decision notice by mail prior to receiving your green card, also by mail.

This list comprises a very general overview of the adjustment of status process. You may be required to complete additional steps depending on your unique situation. Our adjustment of status firm can help you navigate the process from start to finish. With more than 70 years of experience, we are well-equipped to answer your questions and address any concerns you may have.

Discuss your case with one of our Southfield-based adjustment of status lawyers. Call (888) 861-4414 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact Us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We Are Here for You When You Need Us

Placeholder text.