Change of Status Lawyers

Learn How to Change or Extend Your Immigration Status

When you come to the United States for one reason, you might decide to stay here for a different reason altogether. For example, many people visit the U.S. as tourists but ultimately decide that pursuing an education as a student here is what they want next on their life path. To change or extend your immigration status as a nonimmigrant, you can leave the country and come back with the correct visa or immigration permissions. But this is not convenient or affordable for many people, so a different option can be used: filing to change your status with United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS).

Brown Immigration Law is here to help you make changing your status as a nonimmigrant simple. We know how to interact with the USCIS, fill out the appropriate forms completely, and file them on time to keep you in the country as desired. With decades of combined experience and all sorts of professional titles and recognitions – such as Super Lawyers® memberships – you can trust our attorneys to fully handle your change of status. 

Learn the first step to changing your immigration status by calling (888) 991-6221 or contacting us online now.

Why Would You Change Your Immigration Status?

Nonimmigrants decide to change their status all the time and for many different reasons. As a highly experienced immigration law firm, our team is ready to help you change your nonimmigrant status quickly and effectively, no matter why you want to make that change.

We can help people change their status due to:

  • Finding employment
  • Investing in a business
  • Attending school
  • Getting married
  • Extending a vacation
  • And many more reasons

Of course, not everyone can change their non-immigration status easily. The nuances in USCIS regulations can make it difficult to find out your options, which is the main reason why people come to us for help. We can check to see if you are eligible to change your status based on your unique situation.

Furthermore, for anyone to change their status, they must meet these prerequisites:

  • Entered the U.S. lawfully and with a nonimmigrant visa.
  • Still holds a valid, unexpired nonimmigrant status.
  • Current status conditions have not been violated.
  • Has not committed any crimes that would cause ineligibility.

Filing a Form I-539

The typical legal avenue for changing your status as a nonimmigrant is to use Form I-539 with the USCIS. Retrieving and filing this form can be costly, so we encourage you to let our team handle it from start to finish. You can be certain that it will be completed and filed according to all legal requirements, so you do not risk wasting time and money by filing two or more times.

USCIS Form I-539 can be used to change or extend non-immigration statuses for these reasons:

  • Nonimmigrant wants to extend their stay in the country.
  • Nonimmigrant wants to change to a different nonimmigrant status.
  • F and M nonimmigrants are seeking reinstatement.
  • Nonimmigrants are seeking to obtain or extend V status.
  • Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) non-resident wants to apply for nonimmigrant status.

Get Our Legal Guidance & Counsel Today

Changing your status as a nonimmigrant can feel restrictive and confusing, especially if you haven’t had experience with USCIS procedures and the country’s immigration laws overall. To keep yourself out of trouble and to make changing your status a quick, enjoyable process, put Brown Immigration Law in charge. Our change of status attorneys are always standing by to hear from and help new and returning clients. We’d be happy to help you, too!

Please contact us online now or dial (888) 991-6221 if you have any questions about changing your status.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.