Ohio Immigration Attorneys
Contact Us About Your Legal Matter Today 216.861.4414
Helping Individuals, Families,
and Companies in Immigration Matters
Our Dedicated Attorneys Are Ready to Help You

Bringing Your Loved Ones to the United States

Cleveland Immigration Lawyers with Decades of Experience

You have successfully immigrated to the United States, and you now enjoy the rights and privileges of a lawful permanent resident or citizen. You can live and work in this country and you no longer have to worry about overstaying a visa. This is a considerable achievement, but if you are here without your dearest loved ones - your spouse, your children, brothers and sisters, or parents - it may not be the end of the immigration process for you.

An Ohio immigration attorney from Robert Brown LLC can help you carry out the necessary steps, from selecting the most appropriate type of family-based immigration visa to completing the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative as well as representing you with immigration authorities should any complications arise. We serve clients in Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati, as well as nationwide and throughout the world.

Family Preference Visas

United States immigration law provides only a limited number of visas for family members who fall into certain preference categories. There are four family-sponsored preferences, each with a specific yearly allocation of visas. The first category, unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their own minor children, receives 23,400 visas every year. The second category includes spouses, minor children, and unmarried adult children of green card holders. This category receives 114,200 visas. There are 23,400 visas for the third category, the married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, as well as for their spouses and minor children. The fourth category is allocated 65,000 visas for the siblings of U.S. citizens and for their spouses and minor children, but this category is reserved for family members of citizens who are over the age of 21 years.

Family Members of U.S. Citizens

The gates open wider for the immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, as the Immigration and Nationality Act places no limit on the number of immigrant visas for people in this category. Immediate relative visas are available for spouses, unmarried children younger than 21 years of age, and adopted orphans, as well as for parents of a citizen who is over the age of 21 years old.

Helping a Future Spouse with Immigration

The K-1 visa is intended for the fiancé or fiancée of a United States citizen, and it enables the holder to lawfully enter and remain in this country, provided that the marriage takes place within 90 days of entry to the U.S. As soon as you are married, your spouse can apply for adjustment of status to secure a green card and become a lawful permanent resident. The first step in the process is to complete a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), along with several different types of documentation to support the application.

Contact an Ohio immigration lawyer at the beginning of the process so that we can assist you with the application and prevent any unnecessary complications that could cause delays.

Contact Robert Brown, LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • Applying for U.S. Citizenship and Medicare

    If you are a foreign national seeking residency in the U.S., you may be concerned about obtaining medical insurance to supplement the costs of care ...

    Continue Reading
  • How to Apply for Asylum in the U.S.

    For many people outside of the United States, living in a constant state of fear has become the norm due to various things outside of their control. ...

    Continue Reading
  • What You Need to Know About Bringing Your Fiancé(e) to the US

    Family-based immigration law is a complex process, even if you just want to bring your kids with you when you come to America. For people looking to ...

    Continue Reading