Ohio Immigration Attorneys
Contact Us About Your Legal Matter Today 216.861.4414
Helping Individuals, Families,
and Companies in Immigration Matters
Our Dedicated Attorneys Are Ready to Help You

Understanding the L-1A Non-Immigrant Visa

Immigration Lawyer in Ohio

United States immigration law makes it possible for multinational corporations to make certain types of personnel transfers to this country from abroad by using the L category of non-immigrant visa. In cases there the transferee holds an executive or managerial position in the company, the most appropriate visa is the L-1A intracompany transfer visa. The L-1A enables the holder to enter the U.S. for a period of up to one year if the trip is being made for the purpose of establishing new offices for the company, or up to three years if the executive is being transferred to an existing office. In the latter case, there is the option to file for an extension of stay for up to seven years total.

The first step in obtaining an L-1A visa is for the employer to file a Petition for Non-Immigrant Worker, Form I-129 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once USCIS has approved the petition, the employee can apply for a visa at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in his or her country of origin. To qualify for an L-1A visa, the recipient must be proven to hold a managerial or executive position within the company, providing evidence that his or her ability to make sweeping decisions with little or no oversight or to supervise and control the work of subordinate employees. Dependent spouses and minor children may accompany the transferee on the L-2 visa, which permits a stay for as long as the L-1A visa is valid.

Serving Businesses in Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati

The Cleveland immigration attorneys at Robert Brown LLC serve individual and corporate clients in Ohio and throughout the world and provide comprehensive legal counsel and representation across the spectrum of immigration legal issues. We understand that the success of your personnel transfers may determine the future success of your company, so we will work diligently to help you avoid any unnecessary delays or complications in the process of petitioning for an L-1A visa.

Call or visit our office today to consult with one of our lawyers and to begin the process.

Contact Robert Brown LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • Applying for U.S. Citizenship and Medicare

    If you are a foreign national seeking residency in the U.S., you may be concerned about obtaining medical insurance to supplement the costs of care ...

    Continue Reading
  • How to Apply for Asylum in the U.S.

    For many people outside of the United States, living in a constant state of fear has become the norm due to various things outside of their control. ...

    Continue Reading
  • What You Need to Know About Bringing Your Fiancé(e) to the US

    Family-based immigration law is a complex process, even if you just want to bring your kids with you when you come to America. For people looking to ...

    Continue Reading