Naturalization Attorneys in Southfield

Helping You Obtain U.S. Citizenship

The process of naturalization allows qualified foreign nationals to become citizens of the United States. In order to apply for citizenship through naturalization, you must first meet the requirements set forth by Congress and the Immigration and Nationality Act. Once you have established that you meet these requirements, you can apply for naturalization by filing the Application for Naturalization Form N-400. Applicants must pass the Naturalization Test, which covers topics ranging from U.S. history to English to civics.

If you wish to become a U.S. citizen through naturalization, Brown Immigration Law can help. Our Southfield-based naturalization attorneys can help you ensure that you are qualified to apply, properly file your application form, and prepare for your Naturalization Test.

To discuss your case with our team, contact us at (888) 861-4414 and request an appointment for a consultation.

Who Can Apply for Citizenship through Naturalization?

In order to be eligible for naturalization, you must meet certain requirements. These requirements vary depending on your specific circumstances. For example, green card holders must meet a different set of criteria than spouses of U.S. citizens, military personnel, and children of U.S. citizens.

If you are a green card holder, you may apply for naturalization if you:

  • Have held a green card for at least five years immediately prior to filing your application
  • Are at least 18 years of age at the time of filing your application
  • Have maintained continuous lawful residence in the U.S. for the last five years or more
  • Have been physically located within the U.S. for at least 30 months during your five-year lawful residence immediately preceding filing
  • Have lived in the state of residence for at least three months prior to filing (with some exceptions for students)
  • Remain in the U.S. continuously from the time you file your application until the time you are granted naturalization
  • Can pass the Naturalization Test, which includes demonstrating that you can speak, read, and write English and have a basic understanding of U.S. history and civics
  • Are a person of “good moral character”

If you are a green card holder of at least three years and the spouse of a U.S. citizen, you may apply for naturalization as long as you meet all other applicable eligibility requirements. Additionally, if you are a U.S. citizen and you have a child who was born and currently resides outside the U.S., your child may be eligible for naturalization if he or she meets all other requirements.

Contact Our Firm to Schedule a Consultation

Naturalization is one of the most common ways in which foreign nationals and green card holders are granted U.S. citizenship status. That being said, the immigration process can be complicated and it is important that you complete all of the necessary steps, including studying for the Naturalization Test (if applicable).

At Brown Immigration Law, we assist individuals in navigating the naturalization and citizenship process. Whether you are applying for naturalization as a green card holder or you wish to learn more about how your spouse or child can become a citizen, we can help. Our Southfield naturalization attorneys offer honest legal counsel and innovative solutions for clients across the country and around the globe.

Contact us online or by phone at (888) 861-4414 to learn more. We offer case evaluations by appointment.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact Us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We Are Here for You When You Need Us

Placeholder text.