Can I Get a Green Card or Visa with a Criminal Record?

If you or a loved one is planning on applying for a green card or immigrant visa anytime in the near future, a criminal record could make you ineligible to gain entry into the United States. Immigration laws are very strict on the qualifications which must be met to be granted entry on either a temporary or permanent basis. Violent crimes or crimes of a serious nature that could be grounds for deportation are also likely to be ground for inadmissibility.

According to the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), the following are just a few of crimes or activities which could prevent you from being able to receive a visa or green card:

  • A crime of moral turpitude such as robbery, aggravated assault, fraud, incest, kidnapping, rape, spousal abuse, child abuse, voluntary manslaughter or murder.
  • Controlled substance violation either here in the U.S. or under foreign law.
  • Being convicted of multiple criminal offenses wherein your sentence is in excess of 5 years.
  • Engaging in prostitution or procuring prostitutes.

Hiring an immigration lawyer from our firm to provide you with legal representation throughout the immigration process will dramatically improve your chances of being able to get your green card or visa. Our attorneys have years of experience helping people come up with viable resolutions to their immigration problems and are well aware of the strategies which can be used to help you accomplish your immigration goals. In some instances, even an individual who has a criminal past or who has prior immigration violations may be able to apply for permanent residency providing he or she is able to obtain a waiver of inadmissibility.

Call Our Firm First

Falsifying an application for immigration or lying to an immigration official in an attempt to fraudulently obtain entry into the U.S. is likely to result in your deportation or removal. It will also make it almost impossible for you to avail yourself of immigration benefits in the future. Before you get yourself into a situation which cannot be easily resolved, we advise you seek counsel from an experienced immigration lawyer. An Ohio immigration lawyer at Brown Immigration Law will be able to answer any questions you may have and advise you on whether your criminal record makes you ineligible to apply for an immigrant visa or green card. To get the immigration assistance you need, contact our law firm now.

Related Posts
  • USCIS Announces Fee Increases Read More
  • The News & Observer Talks H-1B Emigration to Canada, Quotes Attorney Rishi Oza Read More
  • Will the Midterms Impact US Immigration Policy? Read More