Ohio Immigration Attorneys
Contact Us About Your Legal Matter Today 216.861.4414
Helping Individuals, Families,
and Companies in Immigration Matters
Our Dedicated Attorneys Are Ready to Help You

L-1B Skilled Intra-Company Transferees

Cleveland Immigration Lawyer

With an L-1B visa, certain employees of multinational corporations are able to transfer to offices within the United States from offices abroad. The first step in applying for this type of non-immigrant visa is for the employer to file a Form I-129, Petition for Non-Immigrant Worker with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). For companies that need to make a number of intracompany transfers from abroad, USCIS offers the option of filing a blanket petition, which serves to expedite the process. When USCIS approves the employer's petition, the employer must then apply for the L-1B visa with the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in his or her country of origin.

Who is eligible for an L-1B visa?

It is not enough for the transferring organization to meet the requirements of U.S. immigration law - the employee must also meet the eligibility qualifications for this type of visa. These requirements include working for the company for at least one of the past three years immediately leading up to the date of entry to the U.S. and planning to enter this country with the purpose of providing services to the employer in a specialized capacity. The worker must possess special or advanced knowledge of the company's "product, service, research, equipment, techniques, management," or other aspects of the company's operations. Whether the employee holds a professional or non-professional position, his or her services to the company must be an integral component of the company's operations in the U.S.

More Information

An L-1B visa will allow the holder to remain in the United States for an initial period of up to three years with the option to file for two-year extensions up to a total stay of seven years. In cases of a worker traveling to the U.S. for the purpose of establishing a new office for the company, the stay is limited to a period of one year. The spouse and minor children of an L-1B visa holder can apply for an L-2 visa, which permits them to stay for as long as the transferee is in this country.

An Ohio immigration attorney from Robert Brown LLC can assist both the employee and the employer with the application, and we encourage you to contact us now for a consultation to begin the process.

Contact Robert Brown LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • Applying for U.S. Citizenship and Medicare

    If you are a foreign national seeking residency in the U.S., you may be concerned about obtaining medical insurance to supplement the costs of care ...

    Continue Reading
  • How to Apply for Asylum in the U.S.

    For many people outside of the United States, living in a constant state of fear has become the norm due to various things outside of their control. ...

    Continue Reading
  • What You Need to Know About Bringing Your Fiancé(e) to the US

    Family-based immigration law is a complex process, even if you just want to bring your kids with you when you come to America. For people looking to ...

    Continue Reading