Family Based Immigration Lawyer in Orlando

Family-based immigration is one of the most common methods of obtaining permanent resident status. As an immigrant visa classification, this pathway to immigration allows foreign nationals to lawfully obtain a green card through a relative who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. At Brown Immigration Law, our experienced legal team has helped a variety of clients learn about the ways in which they can sponsor a relative in order for them to immigrate to the United States. This includes parents, spouses, children, siblings and others.

Immigration Options for Family Members

Under U.S. immigration law, there are two groups of family-based immigrant visa categories. In addition, there are also specific visa categories for fiancés.

  • Family-Sponsored Preferences - If a relationship does not qualify as an immediate relative, then both U.S. citizens and permanent residents can file petitions in a family-preference category. Eligible family-sponsored preference relatives of U.S. citizens and permanent residents are classified into four separate preference categories, including children over the age of 21, married children and siblings.
  • Fiancé / Fiancée - Fiancés and fiancées fall into a separate family-based immigration category. Known as special family situations, eligible immigrants must meet certain qualifications and apply during certain time frames. Depending on the circumstances, fiancés can be awarded a K non-immigrant visa.

With any form of family-based immigration, the U.S. citizen or permanent resident sponsor and the foreign national beneficiary must complete a lengthy process that will allow the beneficiary to live and work permanently in the country. The sponsor and beneficiary must also supply a great deal of information and documentation during the process. If you are interested in helping a relative obtain a green card, our proven legal team can assist you with any of the procedures.

How Family-Based Immigration Works

  • Family-based immigration must involve either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, also referred to as a green card holder.
  • Citizens and permanent residents have the right to sponsor a foreign citizen family member to lawfully immigrate to the United States.

Although immigration law magnanimously allows for family members to be united in America, it does not make it an easy process. Depending on the type of relation, this process can range in duration and difficulty, which is why legal assistance from the experienced, knowledgeable and compassionate legal team at Brown Immigration Law is essential to s successful outcome. The following breakdown of family-based immigration can help you better understand your situation.

Relatives of U.S. Citizens

United States citizens can file petitions with the USCIS for a family member to obtain permanent residence. Depending on the relation to a foreign national, the process can differ immensely.

Relatives of Permanent Residents

Foreign national relatives of green card holders also have the opportunity to file petitions for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

Unlike immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, family members of permanent residents have a lower priority and therefore must wait until a visa becomes available for their category and situation.

The process for permanent resident sponsorship requires a great deal of documentation and evidence of a certified immigration status. Eligible green card holder family members include spouses, unmarried children under 21, and unmarried children over 21.

Family-Based Preference Categories

Family members who do not qualify as immediate relatives of U.S. citizens will be placed into preference categories based on their type of familial relationship. This applies to non-immediate relatives of U.S. citizens and any relative of permanent residents. Each category has specific limitations on the amount of visas available. Certain countries will also have limitations for the amount of visas that can be granted each year.

The preference categories are:

  • First Preference: Unmarried, over 21 children of U.S. citizens
  • Second Preference (2A): Spouses and unmarried, under 21 children of permanent residents
  • Second Preference (2B): Unmarried adult children of permanent residents
  • Third Preference: Married children of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth Preference: Siblings of adult U.S. citizens

If a relative is in the United States legally, they can complete the family-based immigration process in the U.S. by filing for an adjustment of status. For family members abroad, they can complete the process through consular processing in their home country.

Put Our Experience on Your Side

Family-based immigration is one of the primary practice areas at Brown Immigration Law. Having helped numerous families obtain permanent residence through relatives in the United States, you can be confident that your family-based immigration application will be meticulously prepared and successfully completed.

As cases always vary on a unique basis, our legal team makes it a point to devote personal attention to each case in order to meet the unique immigration needs of our clients. If you need an effective resolution in a timely manner, you need to work with the dedicated and client-focused attorneys at Brown Immigration Law.

Contact our family-based immigration firm today to learn more about family-based immigration.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.