Raleigh-Durham Fiancé(e) Visa Attorneys

Guidance Through the K-1 Visa Process

Getting married is a big step, but it can get tricky when one partner lives outside the U.S. Luckily, fiancé(e) visas, known as K-1 nonimmigrant visas, make it possible for foreign nationals to come to the U.S. and marry their American partners without needing permanent residency right away. And for those with kids, K-2 visas are also available. 

At Brown Immigration Law, our Raleigh-Durham fiancé(e) visa attorneys help families navigate the confusing U.S. immigration system so they can begin their new lives together in America. Backed by over 70 years of experience, our lawyers offer step-by-step guidance to evaluate eligibility, complete and file necessary forms, prepare for interviews, and tackle any obstacles that arise.

Thinking about getting married in the U.S.? Let our Raleigh-Durham K-1 visa lawyers be your trusted guides. Call (919) 626-3965 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.

What Is a K-1 Visa?

A K-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa designed for the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen who intends to marry within 90 days of entering the United States. 

It allows the foreign national partner to travel to the U.S. for the purpose of getting married and subsequently applying for lawful permanent resident status (green card).

When Would I Need A K-1 Visa?

You would need a K-1 visa if you are engaged to marry a U.S. citizen and wish to enter the United States to marry your fiancé(e). 

It’s important to note that a K-1 visa may not be suitable for everyone looking to marry or join a partner in the U.S. Depending on your circumstances, you may want to explore other family-based immigration options, such as immediate relative visas (including K-3 visas) or family-sponsored preferences. Our experienced attorneys can assess your situation and recommend the most appropriate visa option for you.

Requirements for Obtaining a K-1 Visa

To qualify for a K-1 visa, you must meet certain requirements, including:

  1. Both you and your fiancé(e) must be legally free to marry.
  2. You must have met your fiancé(e) in person within the last two years, unless you can demonstrate that meeting in person would violate cultural or religious customs or would result in extreme hardship.
  3. You must intend to marry your fiancé(e) within 90 days of entering the United States.

How Much Does a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Cost?

The cost of a K-1 fiancé(e) visa includes fees such as the visa application fee, medical examination fee, and adjustment of status fee. These fees can vary and are subject to change, so it's essential to consult with our attorneys for the most up-to-date information on costs.

What Is the K-1 Visa Process?

The K-1 visa process typically involves the following steps:

  1. Filing the Petition: The U.S. citizen petitioner files Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  2. Processing by USCIS: USCIS reviews the petition and, if approved, forwards it to the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate in the fiancé(e)'s home country.
  3. Consular Processing: The fiancé(e) applies for the K-1 Visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate, undergoes a medical examination, and attends an interview.
  4. Entry into the United States: Once the K-1 Visa is approved, the fiancé(e) can travel to the United States. They must marry their U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of entry.
  5. Adjustment of Status: After marriage, the fiancé(e) can apply for adjustment of status to obtain lawful permanent resident status (green card).

What Documents Do I Need for a K-1 Visa?

The required documents for a K-1 visa application may include:

  • Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
  • Proof of meeting in person within the last two years
  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Police clearance certificate
  • Medical examination report
  • Evidence of financial support

Our attorneys can assist you in gathering the necessary documents and ensuring that your application package is complete and accurate.

How Long Will It Take to Get a K-1 Visa?

The processing time for a K-1 Visa can vary depending on several factors, including the caseload at USCIS and the specific embassy or consulate processing your application. On average, it can take anywhere from six to twelve months from the time of petition filing to visa issuance.

What Can Delay the K-1 Visa Process?

Several factors can delay the K-1 Visa process, including:

  • Incomplete or inaccurate paperwork
  • Requests for additional evidence from USCIS
  • Background checks
  • Embassy or consulate processing times

Our experienced attorneys work diligently to help clients avoid common mistakes that can cause delays in the processing of their visa applications. We also have the depth of experience to address other immigration-related issues that can affect visa timelines, such as applying for immediate relative visas for children or resolving problems raised by the USCIS. 

Do I Need a Lawyer to Get a Fiancé(e) Visa?

It is not mandatory to have legal representation for a K-1 visa application, but having an experienced immigration attorney can help immensely. As advocates with extensive experience handling immigrant visa cases and dealing with the U.S. immigration system, we know how to help clients maximize their chances for successful, efficient outcomes. 

Call to Schedule Your Consultation: (919) 626-3965

At Brown Immigration Law, we understand the importance of reuniting families and building a future together. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys and take the first step towards bringing your fiancé(e) to the United States. We proudly serve clients across Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, and beyond.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.