Tampa Fiancé(e) Visa Attorneys

Legal Support for Navigating the K-1 Visas Process 

Marriage is one of life’s most defining moments, but it can entail some challenges for couples with one non-citizen partner. Fortunately, the U.S. immigration system has pathways in place that allow non-citizens to travel to the U.S., get married, and eventually become citizens themselves. 

At Brown Immigration Law, our Tampa fiancé(e) visa attorneys help clients navigate all aspects of the K-1 visa process. With decades of experience in family-based immigration and extensive insight into U.S. immigration processes, we can evaluate your eligibility, assist with forms and applications, and guide you step-by-step toward obtaining your visa.

Planning a marriage in the U.S.? Our Tampa K-1 visa lawyers can help. Call (813) 791-7535 or contact us online.

What is a Fiancée Visa?

A K-1 visa, commonly known as a fiancé(e) visa, is a non-immigrant visa that allows a foreign national fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married.

To obtain a K-1 visa, non-citizens must meet qualifying criteria and navigate a multi-step application process. They are also required to finalize their marriage to their U.S. citizen partner with 90 days of their arrival in the U.S. Once married, the foreign national can apply for a status adjustment to become a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder). 

When Would I Need A K-1 Visa?

You would need a K-1 visa if you are engaged to a U.S. citizen and intend to marry them in the United States. This visa allows you to enter the country for the specific purpose of getting married. 

If you are already married to a U.S. citizen, you may consider other options like the CR-1 visa, an immediate relative visa such as an IR-1 visa for spouses of U.S. citizens, or the K-3 visa for spouses of U.S. citizens who are already married but awaiting immigrant visa processing. Children of K-1 visa holders under the age of 21 may be eligible to accompany their parent to the U.S. on a K-2 visa.

What Are the K-1 Visa Requirements?

To qualify for a K-1 visa, you must meet certain requirements:

  • Both parties must be legally free to marry and intend to marry each other within 90 days of the fiancé(e)’s entry into the United States. Failure to marry within 90 days can result in loss of visa status and removal/deportation.
  • The U.S. citizen petitioner must meet certain income requirements to demonstrate the ability to financially support the fiancé(e).
  • Both parties must show proof of their relationship by providing photographs, records of communication, or evidence of visits. 
  • Partners must have met in person at least once within the two years before filing the petition, with some limited exceptions.

How Much Does a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Cost?

The cost of a K-1 visa includes various fees, such as the filing fee for Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)), the visa application fee, and the medical examination fee. Additionally, there may be other costs associated with obtaining necessary documents, translations, and travel expenses.

What Is the Application Process for the K-1 Visa?

The process of obtaining a K-1 visa involves several steps:

  1. File Form I-129F: The U.S. citizen petitioner files Form I-129F with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to establish the relationship and petition for the fiancé(e) to enter the United States.
  2. Case Processing: USCIS reviews the petition and, if approved, forwards it to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing.
  3. Interview: The fiancé(e) attends an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country to determine eligibility for the visa.
  4. Medical Examination: The fiancé(e) undergoes a medical examination by an authorized physician.
  5. Visa Issuance: If approved, the fiancé(e) receives the K-1 visa, allowing them to travel to the United States.
  6. Marriage: The fiancé(e) and the U.S. citizen petitioner must marry within 90 days of the fiancé(e)’s entry into the United States.

How Long Will it Take to Get a K-1 Visa?

The processing time for a K-1 visa can vary depending on factors such as the workload of the USCIS office and the embassy or consulate where the interview will take place. Generally, it takes several months from the initial filing of the petition to the issuance of the visa.

How to Avoid Delays in the K-1 Visa Process

Many couples want to expedite their immigration matters to begin their new journey in life. And while there are processing timelines that simply can’t be controlled, there are many ways that couples can ensure they avoid problems that delay their applications. 

One of the best ways to avoid delays in the K-1 visa process is to ensure that all required documents are properly prepared and submitted accurately and on time. Additionally, staying informed about the status of your case and promptly responding to any requests for additional information can help expedite the process.

Do I Need a Lawyer for K-1 Visa?

While it is not required to have a lawyer to apply for a K-1 visa, having legal representation can be beneficial, especially if you encounter any complications or have concerns about the process. An experienced immigration attorney can provide valuable guidance, ensure that all requirements are met, and help navigate any challenges that may arise during the application process.

Ready to Apply for a K-1 Visa in Tampa? Call (813) 791-7535

Brown Immigration Law is comprised of award-winning and highly experienced attorneys who are passionate about helping couples navigate immigration matters so they can marry and begin their lives together in the U.S. As a firm that focuses solely on immigration law, we know how to guide clients efficiently through the non-immigrant visa application process and have the experience to handle any other immigration matters they may have. 

To speak with a Tampa fiancé(e) visa lawyer from our firm, call (813) 791-7535 or schedule an appointment online.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.