Change of Status to F or J

Most applications for student status either J or F must be filed abroad outside the United States. However, in some situations a person may file for change of status while in United States. If you are filing for a change of status while in United States. It is important that you do not travel abroad after the application is filed without first conferring with the or international foreign student advisor.

Intending students are not permitted to begin studies until after an application for change of status has been approved. It is recommended highway that you only seek to change her status to F1 only as your last option. Persons coming to the United States without a visa, such as Canadian visitors or persons traveling to the United States, using the visa waiver are in eligible to change to F status or to J status and must apply outside the United States.

F one or J status may not begin until at least 30 days prior to the start date listed on the I 20 or the DS 2019. Prior to commencing status. The pending student must remain in lawful nonimmigrant status until the change is in effect. Applications to change to F or J may be submitted to CIS up to 6 months in advance of the start date indicated on the I 20 or DS 2019. However CIS may not approve until it is within 120 days or less before the start date. Any dependent family members that plan to remain in United States. In independent status must also submit applications to change to the defendant F2 or J2 status.

To apply to change to F-1/J-1 status, you must prepare the following:

  1. Cover letter with the following:
    1. detail about your current maintenance of status and the intent of your most recent entry into the U.S.;
    2. requests a change; and
    3. summarizes of submission.
  2. Complete change of status form.
  3. Original Form I-20 or DS-2019
  4. Receipt confirming payment of theSEViS fee.
  5. Financial documentation.
  6. Form I-94.
  7. Identification page from your passport documentation of your previous immigration history in the U.S.
  8. For dependent status, you must provide documentation of your relationship to the principal and documentation that the principal is maintaining status.
  9. Documentation that you continue to maintain your current immigration status
  10. Filling fee to U.S. Department of Homeling Security
Related Posts
  • DHS Announces TPS for Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea Read More
  • Travel Advisory- Fingerprints, Biometrics, Lookouts, and More Read More
  • H-1B Next Application Available April 1, 2014 Read More