Cleveland J-1 Visa Lawyer

About the Exchange Visitor Program

The J category of visas is used for the U.S. State Department's Exchange Visitor Program. The majority of such visas issued are J-1s, which are for individuals who are coming to the United States to take part in work-exchange and student-exchange programs. There is also a J-2 visa type, a non-immigrant visa used for spouses and dependents who accompany J-1 exchange visitors. There are several programs and job types that make it possible to travel to the U.S. on a J-1 exchange visa, such as the au pair program, camp counselors, interns, physicians, research scholars, summer work travel, and professors and students of colleges and universities. If you are planning to apply for a J-1 exchange visitor visa, then it is in your best interest to seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney in Ohio. The team at Brown Immigration Law is ready to guide you through the application process, and we invite you to contact us today for a consultation.

The Department of State reports that there are a total of 306,429 participants in the Exchange Visitor Program, with 7,822 in the state of Ohio alone. The program exists with the purpose of promoting "global understanding through educational and cultural exchanges," and it has been an integral element of the U.S. immigration system since its creation in 1961. It is administered by the Department of State in cooperation with private sponsors.

J-1 Home Residence Requirements and Waivers

One caveat of the J-1 visa program is that at the conclusion of your stay in the United States, you will be required to return to your home country for at least two years. This requirement applies if you are taking part in a program that is fully or partially funded by the U.S. government or the government of your home country, if you came here to receive graduate medical education or training, or if you possess specialized knowledge or skills that have been deemed to be necessary to the development of your home country. It is possible to petition for a waiver of this requirement if you can meet certain criteria, such as if returning would subject you to exceptional hardship, if your own government has no objection to you staying, or if you have an offer of full-time employment with a healthcare facility.

To learn more about applying for a waiver, call us or contact us online.


Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.