Applying for Political Asylum or Refugee Status

Enlist an Experienced Columbus Immigration Attorney

When a foreign nation is unable or unwilling to protect its citizens from persecution or abuse, both the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and an Immigration Judge have the authority to grant legal immigration status to affected persons.

Eligibility to File for Asylum

Asylum status may be granted to individuals who have been persecuted or have a fear being subject to future persecution in their home country on account of one or more of the following grounds:

  1. Race,
  2. Religion,
  3. Nationality,
  4. Political opinion, and/or
  5. Membership in a particular social group.

To apply for asylum, an applicant must file Form 1-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal within one year of arrival to the U.S. unless there are changed circumstances or extraordinary circumstances beyond the applicant’s control. An asylum applicant can include his or her spouse and/or children on the application as long as the children are unmarried and not yet 21 years of age. An applicant may also obtain permission to work in the United States and obtain permanent resident status.

If you wish to apply for asylum, it is highly recommended that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can evaluate the strength of your case.

Call Brown Immigration Law at (614) 698-1205 to schedule a consultation.

Facing a removal proceeding?

In addition to asylum relief, an applicant who fears persecution in their home country may request withholding of removal or protection under the Convention Against Torture if he or she is currently in removal proceedings before an immigration judge. If you believe that returning to your home country would result in persecution, torture, or other serious harm, speak with a Columbus asylum attorney immediately to evaluate your legal options.

Filing for Permanent Residence

A successful asylum applicant may apply for a green card one year after USCIS or an Immigration Judge grants asylum status. To apply for permanent resident status, you must file Form 1-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status. If you are also seeking permanent residency for your family members, each eligible dependent must file their own Form I-485 with USCIS to receive a green card.

Our team of skilled Columbus asylum lawyers at Brown Immigration Law, has practiced immigration law for nearly seven decades. If you need assistance petitioning for asylum or becoming a refugee, our firm can guide you throughout the entire process.

Call our office at (614) 698-1205 to learn more and to schedule your initial consultation.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.