Southfield Employment Authorization Attorneys

Assisting Immigrants & U.S. Employers with Employment Authorization Issues

If you are a green card holder or have been granted a temporary work visa authorizing you to obtain employment in the United States, you will be required to provide your employer with proof of your employment status. All U.S. employers must verify the identity and work status of all of their employees. It is important that both workers and businesses follow employment authorization rules to avoid penalties.

If you have an employment authorization issue, such as a lost or stolen work permit, Brown Immigration Law can help. We assist both employees and employers with a variety of employment authorization matters, ranging from work permit eligibility to I-9 compliance.

Contact us online or by phone at (248) 292-3434 to schedule an appointment with one of our Southfield-based employment authorization attorneys.

How to Request an Employment Authorization Document

The U.S. government provides employment authorization documents (EADs), also known as work permits, to qualified individuals who are not U.S. citizens. EADs can then be shown to your employer to prove that you are able to work in the United States.

In order to apply for an EAD/work permit, you must:

  • Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements
  • Complete the Application for Employment Authorization Form I-765
  • Mail the completed Form I-765 to your local USCIS Regional Service Center
  • Await your EAD/work permit by mail

EADs/work permits take approximately the same amount of time to renew as they do to receive the first time. Therefore, it is a good idea to request a renewal a few months before your current EAD expires. If your work permit is lost, stolen, damaged, or issued with errors, you may file a Replacement Employment Authorization Document.

Who Is Eligible to Work in the U.S.?

If you need to obtain an EAD/work permit, you will likely need to first show that you are eligible to work in the U.S. There are currently over 40 types of immigrant statuses that qualify for EAD/work permit eligibility, including certain employment- and family-based nonimmigrants, refugees and their spouses/children, certain eligible foreign students (F visa holders), and more.

Our firm can help you determine if you are eligible to receive an EAD and if so, can help you navigate the process. Our Southfield employment authorization lawyers have seven decades of experience in immigration law. We are proud to offer attentive and responsive legal services to our clients. Our attorneys have demonstrated a commitment to excellence, which has helped them earn AV Preeminent® Ratings from Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest rating possible from the prestigious legal organization, as well as inclusion in the Ohio Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠ list. No matter how complex your situation may be, we are prepared to help.

To discuss your particular options with a member of our legal team, please contact our office at (248) 292-3434 and request an appointment for a consultation today.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.