Orlando Non-Immigrant Visas Attorney

Choosing a Non-Immigrant Visa in Florida

A non-immigrant status is for any foreign national who enter the United States on a temporary basis. There are a variety of purposes for which a foreign citizen may visit the country, and each requires a specific visa. Once admitted to the United States, non-immigrant visa holders are restricted to the activity or purpose of their visit. They will also receive documentation of their arrival and intention to depart the country. Known as Form I-94, the document will state how long a non-immigrant visa holder is permitted to remain in the United States.

Non-Immigrant Visas Categories

Under U.S. immigration law, there are many different types of non-immigrant visas. These include:


A visas are reserved for foreign national diplomats and government officials. In order to obtain an A visa, applicants must be traveling to the United States on official government business. For diplomats and government officials traveling as tourists or for other non-government reasons, an A visa will not be granted.


B-1 visas are issued to foreign citizens who are visiting the United States temporarily for business. This can include consultations with business associates, business conventions and conferences and other related matters.


Citizens of foreign countries traveling immediately and continuously through the United States on their way to a foreign destination qualify for C visas. Also known as a transit visa, C visas require that foreign citizens intend to pass through the United States, have sufficient funds to complete the journey and have permission to enter another country when departing from the United States.


Any crewmember serving on a sea vessel or aircraft will need to obtain a crewmember D visa. In order to qualify, foreign nationals must demonstrate that they provide required services on a boat or aircraft or will receive training. In addition, foreign citizens can apply for a D visa without currently being employed, as long as they will be employed on a vessel or aircraft when they arrive in the United States.


F-2 visas are for spouses and children of F-1 visa holders. F-1 visa holders are full time students attending an approved institution in the United States. F-2 visa holders must be dependents of an F-1 visa holder and are prohibited from gaining employment authorization. Children f-2 visa holders may attend public school.


G visas are issued to employees of international organizations. Depending on the purpose of their visit, foreign nationals may qualify for one of four different G visa categories. G-1 visas are for permanent mission members of a recognized government traveling to a designated international organization. G-2 visas are reserved for representatives of a recognized governments temporarily traveling to the U.S. to attend meetings of a designated international organization. G-3 visas will be granted to representatives of non-recognized or non-member governments. Any foreign national traveling to the U.S. to accept a position at a designated international organization will be given G-4 visas.


Non-immigrant exchange visitors that have been accepted in a certified exchange visitor program can obtain J visas. In order to qualify, applicants must show that their stay will be temporary, that they have the funds to cover expenses in the United States, and that their return home can be ensured by binding ties in their home country.


Foreign students attending vocational training programs or other nonacademic institutions should apply for M visas. The same qualifying requirements as F-2 student visas apply for M visa applicants.


Employees of NATO qualify for an N visa. Foreign nationals will be classified under NATO-1 through NATO-6. Applicants must be seeking admission to the United States under the appropriate provision of the Agreement on the Status of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, or the Protocol on the Status of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization Pursuant to the North Atlantic Treaty.


S visas are reserved for foreign citizen witnesses and informants against terrorism or organized crime. Applicants must demonstrate that they can provide credible and reliable information that would qualify for an award under the Department of State's reward program.

Visa Waivers

In addition to these non-immigrant visa categories, certain foreign nationals may qualify for visa waivers that will permit them to enter the United States for a maximum of 90 days. In order to receive a visa waiver, a foreign national must reside in a designated country. There are more than 30 eligible countries participating in the Visa Waiver program. You can view the countries at the U.S. Department of State's website.

It should also be mentioned that visas only allow foreign citizens to travel to a United States port of entry. Non-immigrant visas do not automatically result in admittance to the United States. In order to be lawfully admitted and to receive an I-94 form, non-immigrant visa holders must be approved by a U.S. customs official.

How Do I Decide Which Non-Immigrant Visa Is Right for Me?

The purpose of your visit, as well as the length of your intended stay, will determine the type of visa for which you should apply. There are many different types of visas an individual can apply for when seeking temporary admittance, so we strongly recommend reviewing your options with an attorney.

If you or someone you love wishes to visit the United States for business, as a government official, as part of other travels, to see family, as an exchange student, or for any other reason, Brown Immigration Law has extensive experience guiding clients through the various non-immigrant visa applications. We can also help those who qualify, apply for short-term visa waivers.

Qualified Assistance for Non-Immigrant Visas In & Around Orlando, FL

The legal team at Brown Immigration Law has accumulated extensive experience and knowledge regarding all non-immigrant visa categories. No matter which non-immigrant visa you intend to apply for, you can be confident that our highly regarded lawyers have the skills and commitment to help the process run smoothly. We are also prepared to assist individuals, families or businesses with any other immigration matters they may be facing, including a change of status for non-immigrant visa holders in the United States.

For more information about our legal services and qualifications as top notch Florida immigration attorneys, contact Brown Immigration Law. We serve clients throughout the state from our Orlando office.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.