Cleveland Consular Processing Attorney

How Long Does It Take to Get a Green Card?

Are you hoping to receive a green card? It is important that you take all necessary steps to make sure that your adjustment of status or consular process runs as smoothly as possible. The process can take as little as 6 months, but more often it takes years, which is why it is beneficial to have the professional help of an attorney.

Consular meetings and interviews may take place in the home country of the applicant or within the United States in the case of status change.

Consular Processing Steps

After a notice of action petition has been filed, the National Visa Center receives the application. Next, the foreign immigrant's local U.S. consular will set up a meeting to begin consular processing.

When a visa number becomes available, the immigrant will then receive Packet 3 of the immigration packet. This packet must be filled out and returned to the National Visa Center to be processed. Once the processing has been completed, the State Department Visa Office will be notified and the consular office abroad will schedule a meeting for the immigrant in their home country, if necessary.

  • National Visa Center

The National Visa Center approves your immigration petition and works directly with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services to approve or deny your visa application.

  • Interview at U.S. Consulate

There are a few different things that you can do to prep for your interview with a U.S. consulate. It is important that you have all necessary travel documents and valid photo identification and that you speak with an attorney regarding your particular situation.

  • Waivers

You may be eligible to apply for a Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility if you are deemed not eligible for a visa. This waiver application is submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office.

Consular Processing for Non-Immigrant Visa Holders

If you have a non-immigrant visa, such as an H-1B visa or any other temporary employment-based visa, and you wish to become a permanent resident, then you have two options – change of status or consular processing. Consular processing is mandatory for any non-permanent visa holder who resides outside of the United States. If you currently reside inside the U.S. with an H-1B or other temporary work visa, then you can file Form I-539 to request a change of status to that of a permanent resident.

This is not the same as filing a Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker. Visit our Employment-Based Permanent Residents page for more information about Form I-140 and your eligibility.

Working With Brown Immigration Law

It may be to your advantage to work with an attorney from Brown Immigration Law when trying to determine what steps need to be taken during your immigration process. At our firm, we have been able to assist numerous clients in preparing and completing consular processes in order to receive their visas in a timely manner.

Are you considering immigrating to the United States? Contact Brown Immigration Law as soon as possible and retain the guidance of a trusted Cleveland immigration attorney.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.