Ohio Immigration Attorneys
Contact Us About Your Legal Matter Today 216.861.4414
Helping Individuals, Families,
and Companies in Immigration Matters
Our Dedicated Attorneys Are Ready to Help You

F-1 Student Visa Attorney in Ohio

Non-Immigrant Visas for Foreign Students

The United States has some of the finest schools in the world, and students from around the globe aspire to travel to this country for the purpose of pursuing an education. If you or your child is preparing to attend a university, college, seminary, conservatory, high school, or even an elementary school in the U.S., then you will need to apply for an F-1 non-immigrant visa. This type of visa is intended for students who will be pursuing education on a full-time basis and makes it possible for the student to attend an educational institution that takes part in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program, a Department of Homeland Security program which serves to regulate the entry of students to this country.

Am I eligible for an F-1 visa?

The criteria for obtaining an F-1 student visa are strict but relatively simple. You must be enrolled as a student in an academic course of study, a language training program, or a vocational program, and you must be planning to attend a school that has been approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This visa is only for full-time students, and you must be able to demonstrate a level of proficiency in English or be enrolled in an English language course to achieve proficiency. It will be necessary for you to affirm that you have sufficient funds to pay for your personal expenses throughout your course of study, and you must have a permanent residence in your home country that will compel you to return upon the completion of your studies.

Can international students work in the U.S.?

The F-1 visa will permit you to enter and remain in the United States for the purposes of pursuing your education, but it does not allow you to work except under certain circumstances. During the first year of your studies, you may take on some types of on-campus employment; after the first year, you can accept limited types of employment off campus.

An Ohio immigration lawyer from Robert Brown LLC will take the time to help you understand what you can and cannot do with an F-1 visa and will work diligently to help you obtain your visa with a minimum of delay. Contact us today! 

Contact Robert Brown LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • Applying for U.S. Citizenship and Medicare

    If you are a foreign national seeking residency in the U.S., you may be concerned about obtaining medical insurance to supplement the costs of care ...

    Continue Reading
  • How to Apply for Asylum in the U.S.

    For many people outside of the United States, living in a constant state of fear has become the norm due to various things outside of their control. ...

    Continue Reading
  • What You Need to Know About Bringing Your Fiancé(e) to the US

    Family-based immigration law is a complex process, even if you just want to bring your kids with you when you come to America. For people looking to ...

    Continue Reading