North Carolina Citizenship Attorney

How Can I Obtain U.S. Citizenship?

If you are considering becoming a U.S. citizen, you may be wondering about the naturalization process and what you will need to do to meet the necessary qualifications.

The requirements to apply for U.S. citizenship include:

  • You have resided here in the United States for the 5 consecutive years prior to your application
  • You are considered to be of good moral character
  • You have a basic understanding of the English language
  • You can pass a standard civics test

There are other ways in which an individual may be able to obtain U.S. citizenship, however as each case is different, we advise you discuss your unique circumstances with an immigration attorney from our firm right away.

Ways to Become a U.S. Citizen

  • Citizenship by Birth. Although naturalization is the only option available for immigrants seeking U.S. citizenship, it is important to know the various other forms of citizenship, as well. There may be options available to you of which you were unaware, or you may simply learn more about the United States in which you live. Read below for brief descriptions of the various types of citizenship. Then, feel free to contact a North Carolina immigration lawyer for qualified legal counsel regarding your citizenship.
  • Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad. Anyone who was born in the United States is eligible for U.S. citizenship through birth. Likewise, when two U.S. citizens who are expecting have a child on foreign territory, the birth should be reported to the U.S. embassy or consulate as soon as possible so that the child can be granted U.S. citizenship. Cases such as the latter could result in a dual citizenship for the child, since he or she may also be eligible for citizenship in the country in which they were born. Exclusions apply for children born on U.S. territory in foreign countries, such as military bases.
  • Acquisition & Derivative Citizenship. A child can also be granted U.S. citizenship when born abroad if one of their two U.S. citizen parents had a residence in the U.S. or in U.S. territory prior to the child's birth. In order for the child to be granted an acquired or derivative citizenship, the parent with residence in the U.S. must have been physically present at the time of the child's birth. This also applies to children born out of wedlock where the father (by blood) is a U.S. citizen. Laws regarding such citizenship can be found in Section 301(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Need assistance? We can help!

Call the firm of Brown Immigration Law right away if you need advice regarding your child's citizenship. With the help of a North Carolina immigration lawyer from our firm, your child could obtain United States citizenship although born abroad. He or she may even be able to acquire dual citizenship! Attorney Brown has practiced immigration law for more than 40 years, and Attorneys Oza and Cuic have both been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠ for consecutive years. Our attorneys can help.

Contact us today to discuss your legal options with a North Carolina citizenship lawyer who has decades of experience.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.