Durham-Raleigh Temporary Protected Status Attorney

Every year, thousands of individuals seek asylum in the United States from persecution or imminent danger in their home country. There are other situations, however, where an individual may desire to return to their country of origin, but are unable to do so due to upheaval or political turmoil back home. When this occurs, the individual may face removal or deportation if they overstay their visa, but the U.S. government has provided protection for persons in this situation through temporary protected status (TPS).

What is TPS?

The Department of Homeland Security updates a list of countries eligible for TPS each year. In order to make the list, a country must be experiencing ongoing armed conflict / war, an environmental disaster or epidemic, or another extraordinary and temporary condition. Anyone whose country of origin is on the list of TPS countries may apply for protected status.

As of March 29, 2012, the list includes the following countries:

  • El Salvador
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Nicaragua
  • Somalia
  • Sudan
  • South Sudan
  • Syria

How to File

Temporary protected status is not the same as a non-immigrant status or lawful permanent resident status (green card). It only serves to protect a foreign national from deportation or removal when they are unable to leave the United States due to circumstances outside of their control. If you are in this situation and need to file for TPS, you must file a Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status. You may also need to file a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization and a Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, if applicable.

You will also need to provide evidence of your identity and nationality, such as a copy of your passport or birth certificate, or any national document bearing your photograph or fingerprint that was issued by your country. If you cannot obtain such documents, you must provide proof that you attempted to retrieve them and that all attempts failed. Secondary evidence, such as medical records, school records, or baptismal certificates bearing your parents' names, can also be provided.

Get Aggressive Legal Representation

The immigration law firm of Brown Immigration Law is prepared to assist you in obtaining temporary protected status. Our firm has exclusively practiced immigration law for decades; Attorney Brown has more than 40 years of experience alone, including many years as the INS district director in Cleveland, Ohio. With the assistance of a North Carolina immigration lawyer you can obtain and provide as much evidence as possible to file a successful application for TPS. If you are unable to return home, protect yourself from removal and hardship in the U.S.!

Contact us immediately to schedule a case evaluation with an experienced Durham-Raleigh TPS attorney from Brown Immigration Law.


Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.