Raleigh-Durham Work Visas Attorney

Non-Permanent Resident Visas in North Carolina

Although many individuals seek to immigrate to the United States for permanent employment, there are some cases where the visit is only meant to be temporary. These cases require different visas than those for employment-based permanent residents. In order to learn which visa is the right choice for you and avoid any complications regarding your application, speak with a North Carolina employment-based immigration lawyer as soon as possible. Brown Immigration Law has practiced nothing but immigration law for decades and has a vast understanding of each type of visa. We will inform you of your options and help you through each step of the application process. Take a few minutes to review the basic description of each non-permanent resident visa below before calling our firm for a consultation.

Types of Employment-Based Non-Permanent Resident Visas

B-1 Visa

This temporary business visa allows for business consulting; travel for scientific, educational, professional, or business conventions and conferences; estate settlement; contract negotiations and more. These do not include visas for students, temporary workers, journalists, and other special professions that require a different visa.

E-1 & E-2 Visas

The E-1 visa is known as the treaty trader visa, and the E-2 visa is known as the treaty investor visa. These visas are available for nationals of countries with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation. The applicants must be travelling to the U.S. to carry for substantial trade or to develop or direct an operation for an enterprise in which they have invested, or are in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital.

F-1 Visa

A student must be accepted into an SEVP-certified school in order to apply for an F-1 visa. This includes certain universities, colleges, high schools, private elementary schools, seminaries, conservatories, language schools, and more. Students of vocational programs and students taking recreational short courses for less than 18 hours a week do not qualify for this particular visa.

H Visas

These are temporary work visas for persons with certain occupations. These include specialty occupations, seasonal agricultural workers, temporary or seasonal non-agricultural workers, and trainees other than medical or academic.

I Visas

Journalists, press, and other representatives of foreign media must obtain an I visa to enter the United States for temporary and professional purposes.

J Visas

Exchange visitors such as students, teachers, interns, specialists, camp counselors, and more can apply for a J visa for temporary non-immigrant residence in the United States. The purpose of these visas is to allow foreign nationals to experience our culture and way of life and to build a lasting relationship.

L Visas

These visas are available for intracompany transferees. They must have been employed abroad continuously for one year within the past three years, and they must be employed by branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of that same employer in the U.S. in a high-standing position, such as manager or executive, or having specialized knowledge.

O Visas

To apply for such a visa, the individual must be a person with extraordinary ability or achievement in the area of science, art, education, business, athletics, or the motion picture and television field. Their assistants may also apply for an O visa when travelling with them for an event or performance.

P Visas

Individual or team athletes, members of internationally-recognized entertainment groups, or artists / entertainers of culturally unique programs qualify for P visas. They must be travelling to the United States temporarily for professional reasons.

Q Visas

Participants in international cultural exchange programs may apply for a Q-1 visa. Their purpose for travel must be to provide practical training, employment, and the sharing of their home country's history, culture, and traditions.

R-1 Visa

These visas are granted to religious workers seeking to enter the United States for temporary religious work. They must be part of a bona fide nonprofit religious organization in the U.S. with a tax-exempt status, or that qualifies for tax exemption. They must also have been a member of that denomination for a minimum of two years preceding their application and must be planning to serve as a minister.


TN visas are available due to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) with the U.S. This agreement allows qualified Canadian and Mexicans citizens to enter the United States temporarily for professional business activities.

Contact Brown Immigration Law

Get the legal counsel and representation you need by calling our offices today. We also handle family-based immigration cases and we offer aggressive deportation and removal defense. With our help, you can rest easy that your case is in good hands.

Contact our firm today to discuss your situation with an experienced Raleigh-Durham work visa lawyer.

Meet Your Attorneys
View Attorney Profiles

Contact us Today

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

We are here for you when you need us.

Placeholder text.